We make these every year at Pond Mountain Inn… They’re especially delicious with fresh Vermont homemade whipped cream from our local dairy!
Valentine Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for buttering ramekins
6 ounces chopped Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate
2 large Vermont farm fresh eggs
2 large Vermont farm fresh egg yolks
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons King Arthur all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 450 F degrees. Generously butter 6 heart shaped baking molds or six 6-ounce ramekins (Be generous, and do not substitute non-stick cooking spray). Set the heart shape baking molds or ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Melt the butter in medium microwave safe mixing bowl. Immediately add the chopped chocolate and stir until the chocolate is completely smooth and melted. If a few chunks remain, place the bowl back in the microwave for 20 seconds, and then stir again. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, egg yolks, brown sugar, vanilla and salt at high speed until thickened and pale, using a hand mixer.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture and flour to the egg mixture and fold with a rubber spatula until just combined (the chocolate may sink to the bottom; be sure to scrape it up into the batter).
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared ramekins and bake for 12-14 minutes, until the cakes are set and puffed over the edges of the ramekins. Let the cakes cool in the ramekins for 1-2 minutes.
- Carefully invert the cakes onto dessert plates. They should pop right out: you may run a thin-bladed knife around the edges if necessary.
- Serve immediately with vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.
- Note: The batter can be spooned into heart shaped baking molds or ramekins, covered and refrigerated for several hours before baking. Make sure to take them out of the fridge about 30 minutes before baking so they come to room temperature.